Thursday, November 13, 2008

Giving the kids a little spray before heading home.


We were out all morning fishing when who pulls up beside us. DNR police! We had a few crab traps out and all of us were holding fishing poles when the nice lady asks to see our fishing licenses. Guess what, I didn't even have my wallet on this particular day much less a license. So after she inspected the boat for all safety equipment and I came up short on new flares and a safety ring, she says go home and get your license before fishing anymore and didn't ticket me. That was lucky because having a boat full of people all fishing without any licenses would be one wopper of a fine. We zipped back home, ate some lunch then I went to the DNR web site and bought a vessel license so anyone on the boat could fish legally. You can print it right off the site then they send the stickers later. So lets try this again. We were back on the water in a few minutes with all the right paperwork. Suzy casts her line, Alisons boyfriend Cameron, who is an avid fisherman, is standing at the stern with me and casts his line. So we wait. I decide to have a beer and watch for a while. After no luck for Suzy or Cameron I stick a little piece of fishbite (fake fish bait) on a tiny hook and cast it off port side while swigging my beer and within a few seconds ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ... the line takes off. I gave the pole to Cameron because I didn't want to loose this one or the pole. This fish was going to put up a fight. He fought with the thing for a few minutes before we could see anything at all, then slowly the fish started to surface.
It was a Stingray. Probably 3 feet from tip to tip and he was mad.
Eventually we ended up pulling him up and cutting him loose but not before he broke the pole in half.

1 comment:

5 little greenbeans said...

I thought Mary was joking at first when she told me there were stingrays in the bay!
haha
That is so neat, i can't believe you caught one, you should send the picture to a newspaper!

Followers